Monday, September 3, 2012

Labor Day

The lovely roommate gal has been out of town for 4 days now. After the first 24 hours was spent pacing back and forth like a puppy with her tail between her legs, I decided to pick myself and get active.

Saturday was spent drinking crappy beer out of keg cups before 12pm. No, it wasn't brunch. It was the first University of Iowa football game at Soldier Field. Once I felt the buzz on ever the slightest of declines, I headed downtown to do some shopping. If anyone cares to know what perfume I wear, it's this. And my night ended with a cocktail from Bangers and Lace and an Irish Stout (turns out I still don't care for stout, unless there's ice cream in it) at Innertown Pub (quite possibly the most quintessential Art towny bar known to mankind).

But Sunday was when it started to really get good. Singledom has afforded me a lot of things, mainly, time, money, and waking up with no one to coerce into making food for me (I'm not really sure how that is a gain, but I'm trying to think positively here). So, with that, I got cooking. A college boyfriend gave me Julia Child's The Art of French Cooking for Christmas one year. It is still one of the best gifts I've ever gotten, and the quiche crust recipe alone was worth the price tag of the relationship. This round of quiche resulted in a leek-mushroom-spinach-bacon-swiss cheese little number that I'm quite proud of (but was a bit greasy; should try a different cheese next time).



Today's agenda includes trips to Salvation Army in Lincoln Park and The Goodwill in West Town. I miss the lovely roommate gal, but I feel like the productivity suits me well.

No comments:

Post a Comment