Wednesday, October 3, 2012

24 Things

My 24th year is quickly approaching and (thank God!) 23 is coming to an end. 

23 has been an interesting year, mostly filled with the post-post-modern strife that afflicts other young 20-somethings (think: lots of admitting defeat). I mean, not to be a drag or anything, but my early 20s and post-college life didn't exactly turn out how I expected and has left me feeling pretty underwhelmed. And I think that's mostly due to the fact that I didn't take 21...or 22...or 23...by the horns. 

Which is why I have decided to make 24 the year that defies all years, the year that I finally do some of the things I've been talking about doing for such a long time.

1. Make a screenprint
2. Go to church
3. Run
4. Save for and plan a trip to India (such as: http://www.yogagoa.com/)
5. California tattoo (meaning, get a certain tattoo that I've been thinking about for a long time)
6. Buy a Kitchen Aid mixer and make 12 items with it (one for each month, duh!)
7. Use my soil (or give to someone) to grow a plant
8. Sew (make) an article of clothing
9. Watch the "10 Greatest Films of All Time" http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/03/sight-and-sound-2012-watch-online-streaming_n_1737022.html
10. Read a book of poetry
11. Donate blood
12. Volunteer (maybe at the MS Society http://www.nationalmssociety.org/chapters/ild/volunteer/volunteer-opportunities/planning-committee--leadership-volunteers/index.aspx, PAWS, CPS)
13. Grow out my hair (this one is pretty easy)
14. Refinish a piece of furniture
15. Make a piece of artwork to hang on the walls of my apartment
16. Get a Sunday New York Times and read it.
17. Spend a day at the museum (any museum) alone.
18. Take a hike. Or at least a really long walk.
19. Go to a real Chicago steakhouse and have a real Chicago steak.
20. Spend a Friday night at a coffee shop.
21. Visit Maxwell Street Market http://www.explorechicago.org/city/en/things_see_do/event_landing/special_events/mose/maxwell_street_market.html
22. Get in touch with my Polish roots (Belmont and Milwaukee -- http://www.wikihow.com/Tour-Polish-Neighborhoods-of-Chicago, Kurowski's, Basillica)
23. Attend Trivia Quiz night (nope, I've never been to one)
24. Go to a film festival

Thinking about this list and writing them down has got me so excited for the year ahead of me! I hope to cross-off at least two items every month (of course, a couple of these might be recurring events such as the baking or the running...(ha)...or the church thing...(again, ha)). 


To all my friends, acquaintances, enemies, co-workers, and internet followers out there--I will need your help! Or at the very least, I'll need you to accept my invitation to join me on a couple of these mini-adventures. 

And fear not, I'll be writing about it all along the way...

2 comments:

  1. first off, LOVE Your thoughts! So inquisitive. and I really like this list idea.. perhaps my year 27 (coming up) will have a list! And I may steal your ideas!

    If I could help with any.. I'd say it'd be 2 (I love my church if you need a referral!), 3 (I try to run but need encouragement myself!) and 6! (if you need fun recipes I'm obsessed with finding fun ones on pinterest, duh)

    and The ones that I'd completely steal are 19, 20, 22 (I'm polish too, my dad and I polka'ed for our dance at my wedding) and 23! ALWAYS wanted to try trivia!

    final thought... Maxwell St. Market is a great experience.. especially if you're low on socks. There are alot of sock vendors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you mary!! I'm keeping all of your suggestions and thoughts in mind...perhaps an outing is in our future!

    ReplyDelete