Monday, October 22, 2012

Going to Church

I went to church yesterday. It was weird and wonderful and uncomfortable and soothing, and all before 11am on a Sunday. I loved it and can't wait to go back.

I've experienced extreme peaks and valleys of religiosity and spiritual callings throughout my life. For the past 7+ years, it has been a serioius valley (ok, war-ridden trench) of religious rejection absence. But Sunday morning, the sun was shining (and I was sober, or at the least not hungover...are mornings usually this enjoyable?), and I found myself looking for a reason to dress up, get a coffee, and meet people who felt certain about something. So I went to a church literally half a block away (convenience is an important component to finding a calling) and had an amazing time. It was challenging and welcoming and I think church will offer me a lot of the things for which I am searching (community, servitude, purpose, volunteer work). Ok also (seriously God, you know what's up) there were two single under-28 males in the congregation. Church is awesome and I can't wait to go back.

So, there you have it. I've started embarking on my journey of 24 things. It's a list to accomplish, but it's also a path to take. I'm excited about continuing item #2 on my list and experiencing the others. <<In fact, I also began #6 (did you see the newest addition to my family?) by making marshmallows (surprisingly easy...I'd like to try experimenting with other flavors than vanilla--maybe cinnamon or crystalized ginger).>> But again, it's not about crossing items off of a list, it's about moving forward, about experiencing experiences, and about being the woman I want to be.

Speaking of, being the woman I want to be means learning realizing that you don't have to have a boyfriend to wear boyfriend shirts (or jeans! sweaters! blazers! for that matter). Case in point:

Do I look grunge?


UGHHHHH Hate that I just did a "selfie"!!!!!! I just self-combusted!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment