Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A Letter to My High School Boyfriend

Ah, hey there. It's been a while, huh? 

How's, ah..your...

In essence of time and my mounting boredom, let's skip over all that,"How are your parents?" "Heard your family dog died. He was a good dog," "How's your job?" "Seeing anyone special?" "Good for you!" business and fucking get right to it. 

I don't think about us, or you for that matter, very often. When I do, I always seem to go back to the same memories, or pieces of memories, moments, each time. 

I think about that homecoming dance when we first started dating and you were too nervous to put your arm around me because our parents were there taking our pictures. And if you touched me, maybe they'd know we kissed. I was too insecure to tell you I'd be ok with the squeeze. 

How could I forget the time we got your dad's car stuck in the mud and we had to push it out? The whole debacle nearly ruined my watermelon colored Juicy Couture pants. You remember the pants? If our relationship meant anything to you, you remember my Juicy's.

Mostly I think of the many decisions that I made because of you. Not the favorite movie, or adopting new hobbies to match yours, kind of decisions; which I also made and promptly adjusted after determining OAR was not cool----but the big decisions that ultimately made me the person who relics today. 

I like who I am. Heck, some days I even love myself. I am grateful for our relationship.


So, how are your parents?

No comments:

Post a Comment